Saturday - March 24, 2012

From: Warwick, RI
Topic: Non-Natives, Propagation, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Propagation of non-native Selenicereus Antonyanus from Warwick RI

QUESTION:

I just purchased a Selenicereus Anthonyanus, Rick Rack Cactus unrooted. I have searched on the web of the proper way to root the plant and have had no luck except it says easy rooting but not how to root. Do I leave it in water until rooting, or do I plant it directly in soil? Thanks.

ANSWER:

We discovered a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer on this plant that gives you some background information and links to other internet locations. From Learn2Grow, we found specific propagation instructions for this epiphyte (air plant). It is native to Mexico and therefore does not appear in our Native Plant Database. Since it is considered a jungle plant, you will probably need to make it permanently an indoor plant in Rhode Island. Pictures