Mr. Smarty Plants - Selenicereus anthonyanus, Rickrack or Fishbone Cactus

Wednesday - February 28, 2007

From: Chattanooga, TN
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Selenicereus anthonyanus, Rickrack or Fishbone Cactus
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

A friend of mine gave me a plant he said was a rick rack plant. I have tried to research it on line with no luck and I don't know the scientific name...any help?

ANSWER:

We think your friend must have given you a Rickrack (or Ric Rac) Cactus, Selenicereus anthonyanus (Cryptocereus anthonyanus). Another common name for it is Fishbone Cactus. It is a native of Mexico and a beautiful plant—you have a very nice friend.

Here are some more links with information about it from:
Dave'sGarden.com
Rareflora.com
Paghat.com
Toptropicals.com