En EspaÑol

Tuesday - December 20, 2011

From: St. Petersburg, FL
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I am new to Florida and can't find the identification of one of my plants anywhere. It's an unattractive plant that is stick-like, very rubbery - it reminds me of a stick-bug. I have a small one in a pot and a very large one planted in the ground. The branches/stick-like arms are a bit unruly - growing every-which-way. I DO have a photo, but don't see a place to upload it.

ANSWER:

Does your plant have leaves?   Did it bloom?  If so, what color were the blossoms?  With the description you have given me, I can't come up with a native plant that fits.  It is quite possible it is non-native since Florida is host to many tropical and semi-tropical plants that aren't native to North America.  Since our focus and expertise here at the Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America, we aren't really the ones to identify it and we don't routinely accept photos for identification.  However, if you will visit our Plant Identification page you will find links to several plant identification forums that do accept photos for identification.