En Espa—ol

Friday - June 23, 2006

From: Chisholm,, MN
Topic: Pruning, Shrubs
Title: Pruning of Hamelia patens, Firebush
Answered by: Joe Marcus and Nan Hampton

QUESTION:

I have a Hamelia Patens (Fire Bush) it says it will grow to 12 feet high and 5-6 feet across. Can I keep pruning it to about 5 feet without damaging the shrub?

ANSWER:

Firebush (Hamelia patens) responds very well to pruning. The best time to prune is in late winter/early spring before it begins putting on new growth. The plant rarely grows to more than about 8' if left to its own devices, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 12-footers in ideal locations. Pruning in the summer will remove a lot of flower buds, but it can be done safely.