Mr. Smarty Plants - Evergreen privacy hedge resistant to verticillium wilt

Tuesday - September 27, 2011

From: Monrovia, CA
Topic: Plant Lists, Diseases and Disorders, Drought Tolerant, Privacy Screening, Shrubs
Title: Evergreen privacy hedge resistant to verticillium wilt

QUESTION:

I am looking for an evergreen, fast-growing privacy hedge (over 6') that is resistant to verticillium wilt and has low water requirements. I live in Monrovia, CA and have to replace hopseed bushes which were affected by wilt. Thank you so much!

ANSWER:

This list, Plants Resistant or Susceptible to Verticillium Wilt, from the University of California-Davis Cooperative Extension Service is very useful in determining what trees/shrubs to avoid and which ones are resistant.  Here are some possibilities for Los Angeles County for shrubs/small trees to form a privacy hedge that are evergreen, verticillium resistant and have low water requirements:

Juniperus californica (California juniper) and here are photos and more information.  All Gymnosperms are resistant to the wilt.

Ceanothus thyrsiflorus (Blue blossom) is fast-growing and requires little water.   All Ceanothus species are wilt resistant.  Here are two others:

Ceanothus impressus (Santa barbara ceanothus) and here is more information.

Ceanothus leucodermis (Chaparral whitethorn) and here is more information.

Heteromeles arbutifolia (Toyon) and here is more information.

Dendromecon rigida (Tree poppy) is not on either list so I can't be sure it is verticillium wilt resistant.  You should inquire at the nursery.  Here is more information.

Morella californica (California wax myrtle) and here are photos and more information.  Again, this is not either the susceptible or resistant list.

Blueblossom
Ceanothus thyrsiflorus

Santa barbara ceanothus
Ceanothus impressus

Chaparral whitethorn
Ceanothus leucodermis

Toyon
Heteromeles arbutifolia