Thursday - September 15, 2011

From: Raymore, MO
Topic: Septic Systems, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Appropriate plants for septic field from Raymore MO

QUESTION:

Is it practical to plant coneflower, garden phlox, etc. on a septic drain field?

ANSWER:

We are frequently asked about appropriate plantings over septic fields. Rather than repeat ourselves, we will link you to several of those previous answers from various parts of the country. The gist of those answers is that grasses and herbaceous blooming plants are good, holding soil and moving moisture to the surface. On the other hand, woody plants such as trees and shrubs are not good; their roots will make a beeline for the septic lines and disrupt them

Previous answer No. 1

Previous answer No. 2 - which also has a number of other links

Eastern purple coneflower
Echinacea purpurea

Wild blue phlox
Phlox divaricata