Sunday - September 18, 2011

Topic: Pests, Shrubs
Title: Pest damage to Yaupon shrubs in Austin, TX

QUESTION:

I have noticed pest damage in our 4 ft. yaupon. There are circular holes eaten on 90% of the leaf growth. Trunk & branches look untouched and healthy. Could this be leafminers? How can I care for it? Thank you,

ANSWER:

In looking at descriptions of Yaupon Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon), it is often mentioned that yaupon has few serious problems, but may be attacked by aphids, scale, mites, or leaf miners. The first three produce little visible damage to the leaf although they can be easily seen on the leaves. The leaf miners are inside the leaf and do produce patterns that might be described as holes.

Here are links to three websites that talk about the occurrence and control of leaf miners.

Colorado State University

Clemson University

Univeraity of Florida IFAS Extension

For additional help with this problem, contact the folks at the Travis County Office of Texas AgriLife Extension.

Yaupon