Monday - March 13, 2006

From: Forest Park, GA
Title: Non-native Cape Honeysuckle, Tecomaria capensis

QUESTION:

I am trying to find general information on the Cape Honeysuckle or "Tecomaria" bush/plant. Is is related to the actual Honeysuckle Plant? What is it's care, propogation, sun tolerance, water requirenents etc? Information you would find in a Trees and Shrubs book. Thank You

ANSWER:

Cape Honeysuckle, Tecomaria capensis, is an African native in the plant family Bignoniaceae. It is not closely related to true honeysuckle, Lonicera spp. which is in the family Caprifoliaceae. The common name refers to its native land and its passing resemblance to members of the genus, Lonicera.

Here are some links that you will find helpful for cultural information: University of Arizona Pima County Cooperative Extension, Desert Tropicals and Plantzafrica.com.