Friday - August 05, 2011

From: Brady, TX
Topic: Propagation, Transplants, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Transplanting young Nolina texana plants

Mr. SP, I am looking for information relating to transplanting some young Nolina texana. Esp. the best time of the year and whether to replant directly in the ground or .. Thanks,

Mr. Smarty Plants assumes that you are planning to take the young Nolina texana (Texas sacahuista) plants (offshoots) from around the parent plant.  The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Native Plant Database gives the following propagation instructions.  "Take individual offshoots from mature plants in winter. Plant seeds in cold frame or greenhouse in late January (cool weather). Seedlings do best if transplanted into 4-6 inch pots and given light shade the first season." 

Although these plants are very tough, if you transplant offsprings directly from the parent plant into the ground at other locations in the garden in winter make sure that the soil remains moist for several weeks in order for the Nolina roots to catch hold. If keeping the soil moist is a problem on site, an alternative is to transplant into six inch pots until the plants begin to grow.

Nolina texana plants are especially attractive cascading over a slope or retaining wall.

Texas sacahuista
Nolina texana

Texas sacahuista
Nolina texana

Texas sacahuista
Nolina texana