Tuesday - July 01, 2014

From: Round Rock, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Cacti and Succulents
Title: Can non-native Epiphyllum (Orchid Cactus) be grown in Round Rock, Texas?

Can the Epiphyllum (Orchid Cactus) be grown in the Round Rock Texas area or is this area too hot for it?

First of all, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the study, preservation and promotion of plants native to North America.  The Epiphyllum cactus is an introduced species from Central and South America so it isn't really in our area of focus and expertise.   It is a fascinating plant, however, and  I can point you to several sources for information about it.  First, there is How to Grow Epiphyllum Cactus that indicates that winter temperatures are going to be more of a problem than summer temperatures.   You can also check out the Epiphyllum Society of America site that might be of interest.  For more information you should try googling "Epiphyllum".