En Español

Q. Who is Mr. Smarty Plants?

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers are the culpable and capable culprits. Yet, others think staff members play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Help us grow by giving to the Plant Database Fund or by becoming a member

Did you know you can access the Native Plant Information Network with your web-enabled smartphone?

Share

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants

Ask Mr. Smarty Plants is a free service provided by the staff and volunteers at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

Search Smarty Plants
    
 
See a list of all Smarty Plants questions

Please forgive us, but Mr. Smarty Plants has been overwhelmed by a flood of mail and must take a break for awhile to catch up. We hope to be accepting new questions again soon. Thank you!

Need help with plant identification, visit the plant identification page.

 
rate this answer
Not Yet Rated

Monday - July 25, 2011

From: Kitchener, ON
Region: Canada
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: What caused bump after walk in woods from Ontario
Answered by: Barbara Medford

QUESTION:

I recently went for a walk in the woods near a stream. When I got to the river my leg had a little bump. It wasn't itching. I got home, it swelled even bigger. Can you tell me what plant I bumped into? Thank you

ANSWER:

Here is a list of the Poisonous Trees and Shrubs of Ontario. All three listed are native to Ontario:

Menispermum canadense (Common moonseed) - only berries are toxic if eaten. Pictures.

Toxicodendron vernix (Poison sumac) - all parts poisonous. Pictures 

Toxicodendron radicans (Eastern poison ivy) - all parts poisonous. Pictures

Our personal opinion is that you probably were stung  by some insect. Being in the woods near a stream, the best guess is a mosquito, but you could also have brushed against a plant with a spider or ants on it that didn't take well to your intrusion.

Our advice: if it has swollen more, spread to a rash, or you are having allergic reactions, see a doctor.

 

 

 

 

More Poisonous Plants Questions

Plant for privacy hedge in Oklahoma that is not poisonous to dogs
April 01, 2012 - Hello! I am looking to put a privacy hedge fence in my yard. I love the look of American Holly, however, I have a dog who eats everything so I worry that this will not be a wise choice with the b...
view the full question and answer

Pruning the leaves of Sago Palm.
March 10, 2010 - Is it a cardinal sin to remove all the sago palm branches? This winter they were so badly scorched by the cold that hardly a frond went unaffected. So I cut them all off as I needed to get around the...
view the full question and answer

Native plants and possible poisonous plants in Aguanga, California
August 31, 2009 - I am in the process of moving to Aguanga California. I am interested in knowing what the native plants are in that area. Are they poison to animals and kids?
view the full question and answer

Are seeds of Tecoma stans (yellow bells) toxic to birds
June 22, 2008 - We have several Tacoma Stans in our yard and several pets (dogs & a Cockatoo). My Too is very interested in the beans of this plant. Are the beans poisonous to birds? Dogs?
view the full question and answer

Remedy for sore finger scratched by an Agave plant
October 18, 2013 - I scratched my ring finger on a Agave plant this afternoon. It did bring blood to the surface and i washed it off. Where the scratch is, is very tender and it is swollen and tingles. Any suggestions f...
view the full question and answer

Support the Wildflower Center by Donating Online or Becoming a Member today.
E-NEWSLETTER | BECOME A MEMBER | DONATE NOW | MEDIA | JOBS | SITEMAP | STAFF INTRANET
© 2016 Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center