Monday - July 25, 2011

From: Kitchener, ON
Region: Canada
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: What caused bump after walk in woods from Ontario

QUESTION:

I recently went for a walk in the woods near a stream. When I got to the river my leg had a little bump. It wasn't itching. I got home, it swelled even bigger. Can you tell me what plant I bumped into? Thank you

ANSWER:

Here is a list of the Poisonous Trees and Shrubs of Ontario. All three listed are native to Ontario:

Menispermum canadense (Common moonseed) - only berries are toxic if eaten. Pictures.

Toxicodendron vernix (Poison sumac) - all parts poisonous. Pictures 

Toxicodendron radicans (Eastern poison ivy) - all parts poisonous. Pictures

Our personal opinion is that you probably were stung  by some insect. Being in the woods near a stream, the best guess is a mosquito, but you could also have brushed against a plant with a spider or ants on it that didn't take well to your intrusion.

Our advice: if it has swollen more, spread to a rash, or you are having allergic reactions, see a doctor.