Mr. Smarty Plants - Problems with non-native zucchini in Muskogee, OK

Saturday - July 23, 2011

From: Muskogee, OK
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders
Title: Problems with non-native zucchini in Muskogee, OK

QUESTION:

In the awful heat of this summer I am still getting zucchini to produce. But, once it grows about 3 inches, it gets yellow on the ends and dies. Am I watering it too much? (I have sprayed for bugs with insecticidal soap and don't see any.) I water every day.

ANSWER:

Inhabitants of Central and South America have been eating zucchini for several thousand years, but the zucchini we know today is a variety of summer squash developed in Italy. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plants grow natively. We would suggest you contact the  Oklahoma State University Extension Office for Muskogee County. They are more likely to have information on growing vegetables and what is going on in your area.