Mr. Smarty Plants - Care of non-native Easter lily, Lilium longiflorum

Saturday - June 03, 2006

From: Carthage, NY
Title: Care of non-native Easter lily, Lilium longiflorum
Answered by: Joe Marcus and Nan Hampton

QUESTION:

I have a white lily that is in a pot and has already bloomed four flowers. will it bloom again? Can I replant this outside right now or what should I do with it?

ANSWER:

Our focus and expertise are in plants native to North America and, as far as we know, there are no native lilies that are white. We can't be absolutely sure, but we suspect your lily is an Easter lily (Lilium longiflorum), native to Japan. Aggie Horticulture has information about the history and cultivation of this species. You should be able to grow it in your garden if you follow the directions given in the attached article.