Monday - June 27, 2011

From: Brevard, NC
Title: Plant identification
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

I have a plant my Dad had found years ago. Last of April a stem with bulb shaped bottom. May 6-stem opened and folded back exposing spotted inside of leaf. Bottom had yellow pollen? and green stem 2+ feet. Died completely down by May 30 with 2 in. stem beside it. By June 8-3 spotted stems,1 plant 24 in. Leaves are in horseshoe shape on top of stem with 9 leaves and large one. 11 leaves in graduated sizes to the middle. Plant will get taller.

ANSWER:

This sounds like Arisaema dracontium (Green dragon).  Here are more photos and information

If this isn't your plant, please visit our Plant Identification page, to find links to Plant Identification forums that will accept photos for identification.

Green dragon
Arisaema dracontium

Green dragon
Arisaema dracontium

Green dragon
Arisaema dracontium

Green dragon
Arisaema dracontium