Friday - November 08, 2013

From: Jackson, TN
Region: Select Region
Title: Identification of a vine in Tennessee

QUESTION:

I am trying to identify a vine growing on the ground under what looks to be a holly bush. I have pictures of it if there is an email I can send them to? Thank You!!!!

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants would love to be able to offer a native plant identification service by looking at your photos.  Several years ago we did this but were so overwhelmed with requests that we had to stop—we didn't have enough staff or volunteers to do that AND answer all the question Mr. Smarty Plants receives as well.   I have two suggestions that might help you find the identity of your vine:

1.   On our Native Plant Database page do a COMBINATION SEARCH by choosing "Tennessee" from the Select State or Province option and "Vine" from Habit (General Appearance).   This will give you a list of more than 70 native vines that you can scroll through.   Most have photos with them.

2.  Go to our Plant Identification page where you will find links to several plant identification forums that accept photos of plants for identification.  Be sure to read the "Important Notes" for submission of photos to any of these forums.