En EspaÑol

Saturday - June 11, 2011

From: Spring Branch, TX
Title: Time to Plant Blue Grama Seeds in Spring Branch, Texas
Answered by: Mike Tomme

We would like to plant Blue Grama grass seeds but due to the hot weather with no rain here in central Texas, can we wait until September or even October to plant grass seeds? Thank you

You are wise to avoid planting during the hottest months. Here is a quote from a Wildflower Center how to article on native lawns: "Early spring is the best sowing time once soil temperatures pick-up. Later in the growing season will work but takes more water. Avoid mid-summer and winter."

Since Bouteloua gracilis (Blue grama) normally produces seed from June through November so September or October would be a good time to plant seeds. However, early spring is even better because there will be a period of mild temperatures and (hopefully) rainfall to give the seeds a chance to get established before the summer heat and dryness.

A word of caution, according to the USDA County Distribution of blue grama, Spring Branch is a little east of it's normal range. It's worth a try though.

Blue grama
Bouteloua gracilis

Blue grama
Bouteloua gracilis

Blue grama
Bouteloua gracilis