Sunday - May 01, 2011

From: Chico, CA
Title: Shrubs for hedge not toxic to horses and llamas in California

I have goats llamas and horses, and need a short hedge that is non-toxic to them. It will be along a section of no-climb fencing, but they would be able to get to it. I lost a foal this morning and could not stomach another loss. Thank you for your time.

I am very sorry about your foal.  That is heartbreaking!

Here are some small shrubs that are NOT found on any of the toxic plant lists given below.  They range from 3 to 8 feet for their maximum height and they all are native and can be found in Butte County.  You need to read the GROWING CONDITIONS for each of the plants, however, to be sure their requirements are compatible with you site.

Baccharis pilularis (Coyotebrush)

Ceanothus velutinus (Snowbrush)

Chrysolepis sempervirens (Bush chinquapin) and here are photos

Dendromecon rigida (Tree poppy)

Eriogonum fasciculatum (Eastern mojave buckwheat)

Holodiscus discolor (Cream bush)

Rosa californica (California rose) and here are photos and more information.

Rosa woodsii (Woods' rose)

Here are databases that you can use to check on toxicity of plants to horses and other animals:

ASPCA's Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Horses  [Note:  The first list is for plants toxic to horses and the second list is for plants non-toxic to horses.]

Horse Nutrition: Poisonous Plants from Ohio State University Extension Service

10 Most Poisonous Plants for Horses from Equisearch

Poisonous Plants that may be dangerous to llamas and other livestock

Camelid Plant Poisonings

California Poison Control System

Pennsylvania's Poisonous Plants from the Universtiy of Pennsylvania

Cornell University Plants Poisonous to Livestock

Toxic Plants of Texas

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

Baccharis pilularis

Ceanothus velutinus

Dendromecon rigida

Eriogonum fasciculatum

Holodiscus discolor

Rosa woodsii