Thursday - March 24, 2011

Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Is Yaupon Invasive in the Austin Area?
Answered by: Mike Tomme

Is Yaupon Holly invasive in the Austin area? Should we be removing it from our yards and/or greenbelt spaces? Thanks for your input!

Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon) is native to central Texas and is not an invasive species here. It is used extensively in landscaping and can be trimmed into hedges or other shapes. It tolerates a wide variety of light conditions, soil types and has a low water usage. In other words, It is the kind of plant Mr. Smarty Plants loves: native, adaptable, and drought tolerant.

There is no reason to remove it from your landscape or greenbelt areas.