Mr. Smarty Plants - Hydrilla problems in Tom Bean Lake in Mesquite, TX.

Friday - October 12, 2012

From: Mesquite, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Hydrilla problems in Tom Bean Lake in Mesquite, TX.

QUESTION:

What is the lifespan of Hydrilla in 30 acre lake at Tom Bean Tx? Does it grow spring thru summer and then hibernate thru winter ??

ANSWER:

Could be forever.

Hydrilla verticillata has been called the most problematic aquatic plant in the United States. This plant, native to Africa, Australia, and parts of Asia, was introduced to Florida in 1960 via the aquarium trade. It is a perennial plant that grows during the spring and summer, and becomes dormant in the fall and winter. In the spring, it regenerates itself by means of stolons, rhizomes, turions,  and tubers, and could well cover a 30 acre lake.

I’m going to provide you with several links that explains its growth  and tells how it may be controlled.

State of Washington

University of Texas

University of North Carolina

Exotic Aquatics on the Move