Friday - March 18, 2011

Title: Should wait to trim Inland Sea Oats until all seeds have been dropped from Austin

Regarding Inland Sea Oats: I trimmed the stalks that have lost all the seeds. Should I trim the rest of the stalks or wait until all seeds have dropped?

According to the Propagation Instructions in our webpage on Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats), you should harvest the seed in Fall and trim the stalks in late Winter. If there are still seeds on some of the untrimmed stalks, you could go ahead and harvest them and then trim the stalks. Of course, if you are not interested in harvesting the seeds, just go ahead and do the trimming. Makes no difference to the plant, it's through doing its seeds for this year.