En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Care for Monardella undulata var. frutescens from Pleasanton CA

Saturday - March 05, 2011

From: Pleasanton, CA
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Care for Monardella undulata var. frutescens from Pleasanton CA

QUESTION:

Inquiry about care of the plant Monardella undulata var frutescens "Jokerst." Full Sun? Soil? etc Thanks, Smarty!

ANSWER:

You nearly had Mr. Smarty Plants stumped there. There are 9 species of Monardella listed in our Native Plant Database; this is not one of them. We did find one article from Annie's Annuals Monardella undulata var. frutescens, which answers some of your questions. Since we found no mention of a selection 'Jokerst,' we tried searching on that name alone. This website on the Jim Jokerst Field Botany Award, named after a field botanist in California, is about the best clue we could find on where that name came from.  The first website we referenced says it has been considered a rare plant in California since 1997, and we would have no idea where you could obtain them, if you were interested in growing them.