En Espa—ol

Saturday - February 26, 2011

From: Round Rock , TX
Title: Propagation of native plants by seed in Round Rock TX

I'm trying to include more native and adapted low water use plants in the landscaping of my yard in Round Rock Texas. Due to a limited budget I've been collecting seeds from plants around the area and hoping to sprout them. I have collected seeds from Desert Willow, Mexican Buckeye, Mexican Plum, Possum Holly, Yaupon Holly, Red Yucca and Prickly Pear Can you give me some advice for how best to get the seeds to sprout? Is there a particular type of soil or time I should plant them? Is it OK to start them in a small container and transplant as they get bigger? Any hints you can give me will be very helpful. Thank you!

The page on our Native Plant Database on each plant contains Propagation Instructions as well as Growing Conditions that should answer your questions about soil, sun requirements, and water use. You have chosen a good selection of plants native to Central Texas that are low water usage. The Propagation Instructions on these will sometimes include using hardwood cuttings. Here is an article on Home Propagation Techniques from North Dakota State University Extension, which should answer some of your other questions. The Red Yucca page does not have Propagation Instructions on it, so we will give you a link to a website on that plant that does. 

Chilopsis linearis (Desert willow)

Ungnadia speciosa (Mexican buckeye)

Prunus mexicana (Mexican plum)

Ilex decidua (Possumhaw)

Ilex vomitoria (Yaupon)

Hesperaloe parviflora (Red yucca) - more information from Pima County Master Gardeners

Opuntia engelmannii var. lindheimeri (Texas pricklypear)

Chilopsis linearis

Ungnadia speciosa

Ungnadia speciosa

Prunus mexicana

Prunus mexicana

Ilex decidua

Ilex decidua

Hesperaloe parviflora

Hesperaloe parviflora

Opuntia engelmannii var. lindheimeri

Opuntia engelmannii var. lindheimeri