Wednesday - November 17, 2010

From: Las Vegas, NV
Region: Other
Title: Vines and shrubs for Las Vegas, Nevada
Answered by: Janice Kvale

QUESTION:

We live in Las Vegas and would like to put some vines up on the walls of our backyard. One wall is full sun, one is partial sun partial shade, and two are all shade. We want something that is non-invasive and will not be harmful to our dog. What can you recommend?

ANSWER:

You are wise to be looking for native plants for your location as they are more likely to survive the climate and require less maintenance. That said, there are a limited number of vines for your location and not all meet your specifications. Note that a shady location gets less that 2 hours of sunlight, part-shade is 2-6 hours, and full sun is more than 6 hours. You may want to put some shrubs into your landscape plans to provide visual diversity and possibly some shade for the pup. Shrubs can be shaped to fit along a wall. We have included shrubs that accept all three light conditions of your site. You may want to do an independent search on our site by going to Combination Search or Recommended Species in the Native Plant Database section of our website. and entering the specifics requested. Locate a source for your choice(s) at our supplier list or this Nativeplant list. Be aware that some suppliers will carry limited native plants along with exotic species that may not survive as well or are too aggressive. Our suggestions follow:

Maurandella antirrhiniflora (Climbing snapdragon) graces its location with delicate purple blossoms. It thrives in part-shade.

Funastrum cynanchoides (Fringed twinevine) is a blossoming ornamental also preferring part-shade. View image here.

Vitis arizonica (Canyon grape) is another part-shade vine. You can make jelly from the grapes. View image here.

Parthenocissus vitacea (Hiedra creeper) is a hardy vine that will grow in any light or reasonable soil condition. A prolific climber using tendrils, it will need support on a smooth wall. It produces a berry containing oxalic acid, considered mildly poisonous. That may make it a deal-breaker for your site. View image here.

Rubus leucodermis (Whitebark raspberry) may be another less-than-ideal vine though it too will accept any light condition. Like domestic raspberries, it can spread aggressively, has thorns, and is a biennial. View image here.

Ceanothus velutinus (Snowbrush) is a shrub ranging between 3-5 feet high with showy, aromatic white blooms.

Shepherdia canadensis (Russet buffaloberry) is an adaptable shrub potentially growing to 6-8 feet and producing a non-toxic red berry.

Amelanchier alnifolia (Saskatoon serviceberry), one of our favorites, produces an edible berry that resembles a large blueberry. The shrub has three size classes between 3-18 feet. Check with a supplier to get the size you might prefer.

Maurandella antirrhiniflora

Maurandella antirrhiniflora

Ceanothus velutinus

Ceanothus velutinus

Shepherdia canadensis

Amelanchier alnifolia

Amelanchier alnifolia