Tuesday - September 07, 2010

From: Stanton, MO
Title: Plant identification, possibly Phytolacca americana (American pokeweed)

QUESTION:

What wild growing plant has dark purple berries with a pinkish stem? The purple berries grow on their own stem and not in among the leaves, the leaves are green.

ANSWER:

The first thing that popped into Mr. Smarty Plants' mind was Phytolacca americana (American pokeweed).  If that doesn't happen to be the plant you've seen, take photos, send them to us and we will do our best to identify it.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for instructions on submitting photos.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery: