Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Monday - June 07, 2010

From: Naples, FL
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

There are large trees with brilliant orange flowers around Naples FL. Can you tell me what this is?

ANSWER:

There are no large native trees with brilliant orange flowers that grow in Florida; but, here are three candidates, all non-native, for your large trees with brilliant orange flowers around Naples, Florida:

Delonix regia (royal poinciana), a native of Madagascar.  Here are more photos and information.

Spathodea campanulata (African tulip tree, a native Equatorial Africa.  Here are more photos and information.

Cordia sebestena (orange geiger tree), a native of Central and South America and the Caribbean.  Here are more photos and information.