Monday - June 07, 2010

From: Naples, FL
Title: Plant identification

There are large trees with brilliant orange flowers around Naples FL. Can you tell me what this is?

There are no large native trees with brilliant orange flowers that grow in Florida; but, here are three candidates, all non-native, for your large trees with brilliant orange flowers around Naples, Florida:

Delonix regia (royal poinciana), a native of Madagascar.  Here are more photos and information.

Spathodea campanulata (African tulip tree, a native Equatorial Africa.  Here are more photos and information.

Cordia sebestena (orange geiger tree), a native of Central and South America and the Caribbean.  Here are more photos and information.