Wednesday - September 01, 2010

From: Bon Aqua , TN
Title: Need Plant Identification from Bon Aqua, Tennessee?
Answered by: Marilyn Kircus

By a creek, I found a plant that I have never seen in my life. It has a tall stalk and has leaves like a weed or grass, and the flower looks like a pine tree. The plant looks like a mix of a grass, a weed, and a pine tree.. I have photographs. Is this a rare plant?

It's great that you have photographs of this plant.  We love identifying native plants. Please send us an e-mail, following the instructions below:

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.
  2. If possible, take several high-resolution images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.
  3. Save images in JPEG format. Do not reduce the resolution of your images. High-resolution images are much easier for us to work with.
  4. Send email with images attached to id@smartyplants.org. Please enter Plant ID Request on the subject line of your email.

If  your plant turns out to be non-native, you might consider visiting the UBC Botanical Gardens Forums website.