En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Can rose Zephirine Drouhin damage brick from Springfield IL

Sunday - August 22, 2010

From: Springfield, IL
Topic: Invasive Plants, Shrubs
Title: Can rose Zephirine Drouhin damage brick from Springfield IL

QUESTION:

Can ZÉPHIRINE DROUHIN damage brick?

ANSWER:

Even though most roses are non-native, originating in China, we have had personal experience with growing the rose. It will not damage brick, because it has no way to cling to brick. It is called a "climber," but in actuality climbing roses are roses with long canes. It not only will not damage your brick but you will have to construct a trellis or other support and attach the canes to it with plant ties. See this article from Dave's Garden on Zephirine Drouhin.