Thursday - August 19, 2010

From: New York, NY
Topic: Edible Plants
Title: Edible/medicinal plants in Suffolk County, NY

QUESTION:

Which types of edible/medicinal plants are available in Suffolk County (Long Island NY)? Is there a place I can find a list with information about what they look like, where they can be found and what to watch out for?

ANSWER:

We know of no such list that has already been prepared. When we Googled on "edible plants of New York State," we got several websites that you might want to look at. We recommend you contact the Cornell Cooperative Extension Office for Suffolk County, as someone may have prepared a list for them, and they certainly are closer than we are in Texas. Also, check the Bibliography below, perhaps your Extension Office has copies of some of these, or you may find them in public libraries.

soul.com Wild Foods

Trails.com Edible Plants of New York State

The New York Botanical Garden The Edible Garden

Mother Earth News Food Foraging

Wild Food Learn About Foraging