En Espa—ol

Monday - August 09, 2010

From: Gonzales, TX
Topic: Pruning, Trees
Title: Tool for removing live oak root shoots in Gonzales TX

QUESTION:

I've read your answer to live oak root shoots. You said to get rid of them by going 2 to 4 inches below the surface and cutting them. What tool is best for this shoot removal? I'm getting very tired of removing these with hand snippers. Thanks for your help.

ANSWER:

What you need is nippers with longer handles. They are basically hand nippers with larger blades and about 3-foot wooden or metal  handles. Without wishing to promote one brand over another, here is a page of garden loppers from Amazon. You should be able to buy them in a local hardware or home improvement store or order them online. Since you will be digging down in the dirt to get as far down on the suckers as you can, plan to keep the blades clean, sharp and oiled.  You will still have to bend over some, but not get down on your knees in the dirt. Been there, done that.