Mr. Smarty Plants - Locating toxic, non-native, invasive Castor Bean seeds

Saturday - March 04, 2006

From: TWO RIVERS, WI
Title: Locating toxic, non-native, invasive Castor Bean seeds

QUESTION:

Where do I find castor bean seeds? Thank you.

ANSWER:

Castor bean (Ricinus communis) is a plant native to Africa that was introduced to North America, but now occurs widely over the eastern and southern U. S. A Google search using "castor bean seed" resulted in many sources that have seeds available.

This plant is on the invasive plant lists in Florida and California. Additionally, please be aware that castor bean seeds are highly toxic. Therefore, if you do purchase seeds, please plant them responsibly and grow the plant in a container away from contact with small children and pets.