En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Native plants for cutting garden in Starkville MS

Thursday - July 29, 2010

From: Starkville, MS
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Native plants for cutting garden in Starkville MS

QUESTION:

I would like to know the native plants to put in a cutting garden.

ANSWER:

We went  to Recommended Species, clicked on Mississippi on the map, and searched on "herb" (herbaceous blooming plants),  then checked to see if they are native to the area in and around Oktibbe (would love to hear how that's pronounced) County MS. Since you did not indicate the amount of sunlight available, you will need to follow each plant link to the page on that plant in the database. You can learn the amount of light it needs, how much water, expected size, bloom time and color from those web pages.

You may find other cutting garden suggestions from this website from the North Mississippi Native Plant Society. 

The volunteers who make the flower arrangements from our gardens at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center also often put in grasses, branches with berries on them and/or just bare branches with interesting shapes. 

Native Plants for Cutting Gardens in Starksville, MS:

Conoclinium coelestinum (blue mistflower)

Echinacea purpurea (eastern purple coneflower)

Eupatorium serotinum (lateflowering thoroughwort)

Lobelia cardinalis (cardinalflower)

Monarda fistulosa (wild bergamot)

Packera obovata (roundleaf ragwort)

Athyrium filix-femina (common ladyfern)

Lilium michauxii (Carolina lily)

Conoclinium coelestinum

Echinacea purpurea

Eupatorium serotinum

Lobelia cardinalis

Monarda fistulosa

Packera obovata

Athyrium filix-femina

Lilium michauxii