En EspaÑol

Monday - July 26, 2010

From: Corpus Christi, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Small tree with blossoms for screen in Corpus Christi, Texas

QUESTION:

We are looking for something to plant along a back fence for privacy but don't want it to be a bush. What might work like a crepe Myrtle in the Corpus Christi area that would blossom towards the top but not at the base of the tree/shrub? We would also like to not have to wait five + years for it to begin to fill out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

ANSWER:

Here are some suggestions for small native trees with the faster growing selections listed first:

Bauhinia lunarioides (anacacho orchid tree) is deciduous and has rapid growth and beautiful flowers in the spring.

Chilopsis linearis (desert willow) is deciduous and has rapid growth and showy pink flowers.

Cornus drummondii (roughleaf dogwood) is deciduous and has rapid growth with white flowers and berries.

Prunus mexicana (Mexican plum) is deciduous and has moderate growth with beautiful flowers in the spring and summer fruit.

Magnolia virginiana (sweetbay) is semi-evergreen to evergreen and has moderate growth with large, showy blossoms.

Acacia farnesiana (sweet acacia) is deciduous and slow-growing with fragrant orange blooms.

Cercis canadensis var. texensis (Texas redbud) is deciduous and slow-growingand has spectacular pink blooms.

Cordia boissieri (anacahuita) is evergreen, slow-growing and susceptible to freezing temperatures but has beautiful foliage and flowers.

Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel) is evergreen and slow-growing, but has beautiful flowers in the spring.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery:

Bauhinia lunarioides

Chilopsis linearis

Cornus drummondii

Prunus mexicana

Magnolia virginiana

Acacia farnesiana

Cercis canadensis var. texensis

Cordia boissieri

Sophora secundiflora