Tuesday - July 06, 2010

Title: Need help with a Pecan tree that has been topped in Austin, TX.

Hi Mr. Smarty Plants! I have a pecan tree on my property that was topped by the previous owners. I have searched high and low for information on how to correctly prune a tree that has already been topped, but all I can find are nearly hysterical admonitions to never top a tree. I understand that. Can you recommend any sources of info on how to properly prune and best care for a topped tree? Taking it out is not an option at this time. Thanks for your time and expertise!

I have seen some of these admonitions, and now you know why those folks get hysterical.

In my searching, I've come across only one site that offers suggestions for repairing damage from tree topping; Arboreal Tree Services in Mesa Arizona.

Another approach is to engage the services of a certified arborist. The International Society of Arboriculture can help you with finding one in Austin.