Monday - January 19, 2009

From: Houston, TX
Title: Fast-growing tree for Houston

QUESTION:

Please suggest me fast growing tree like Eucalyptus for Zip 77099 to protect building with its shade. I understand Eucalyptus is not good for our area and is flammable. Any other with similar fast growing and good looking properties would be appreciated.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants answered an almost identical question a few months ago.  Please see the answer to that question.  All of the trees shown in that answer would be suitable for your situation.  However, the Ilex opaca (American holly)  and Quercus virginiana (live oak) would not be considered particularly fast-growing. We have a few other questions about eucalyptus trees that you can read by putting the term "eucalyptus" in the Keyword Search box on the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page.