Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant Identification

Saturday - June 19, 2010

From: Langley, BC
Region: Canada
Title: Plant Identification

QUESTION:

Hi there. I have a plant in my garden I'm trying to identify. It started out looking like a cabbage but now is huge, It has a large stalk going up the middle with purple bell looking flowers coming down it, there are several other stalk shooting out of it as well with flowers growing down the stem. The largest stem in the middle has grown to about 6 feet tall. What is this?

ANSWER:

Our focus and expertise here at the Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America.  From its description your plant doesn't sound too much like a North American native, but it could be, and Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify plants.  However, it is very difficult—if not impossible—to do so from a description alone; but, if you will send us photos of the plant we will do our best to identify it.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read instructions for submitting photos.