En EspaÑol

Thursday - June 10, 2010

From: Los Angeles, CA
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I have a tall leafy green plant growing in my garden. It has long flowering limbs that bear a pod that looks like a tiny green pepper. It then turns purple and falls off. The flower that remains is tiny with a magenta hue. I have no idea what it is. Can you help?

ANSWER:

Well, Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify native plants; but it is difficult, if not impossible, to do with a description alone.  If you think it might be a North American native plant (our specialty), please send us photos and we will do our best to identify it for you.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read the instructions for submitting photos.  If you suspect that it is NOT a North American native plant (not our specialty), you would be better off submitting your photos to the Plant Identification Forum on the UBC Botanical Garden site.