Mr. Smarty Plants - Sources for information on federally protected plants

Thursday - May 20, 2010

From: West Seneca, NY
Title: Sources for information on federally protected plants

QUESTION:

There are plans to build an apartment complex on a beautiful parcel of land on Union Rd. in West Seneca, New York. Formerly this land was the home of Houghton College. I am wondering if there are any endangered plants or trees on the property which would be federally protected. Can you help direct me towards where I might find this information? I appreciate your help.

ANSWER:

Here are links to the threatened and endangered species in New York:

"Protected Plants for All Scientific Names" for New York from the USDA Plants Database 

"Federally Protected Plants" from New York Department of Environmental Conservation

State "Protected Native Plants" New York Department of Environmental Conservation.

You might also consider contacting The Nature Conservancy of New York, the New York Flora Association and New York Department of Environmental Conservation for ideas on how to save some of the native plants on the site.