Mr. Smarty Plants - Food value of cultivars of eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana)

From: Shaker Heights, OH
Title: Food value of cultivars of eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana)

QUESTION:

Can you suggest any resources regarding the wildlife value of native plant cultivars? For example, I can only buy an eastern red Cedar cultivar in my region: "Burkii" or "Emerald Sentinel". I want to know if the berries on either tree will provide food for wildlife-or be ornamental. Thank you.

ANSWER:

According to the Florida Cooperative Extension Service, Juniperus virginiana 'Burkii' is a male cultivar of Eastern red cedar and thus fruitless. Juniperus virginiana 'Emerald Sentinel', according to University of Connecticut Department of Horticulture, is a female tree that does bear fruit and there is no reason to believe that the fruit will not be nutritious for wildlife.