From: The Colony, TX
Topic: Water Gardens
Title: Plants for area around a fountain in full sun near Dallas

I'm seeking advice on what I can plant around the base of a fountain, in full sun, that can tolerate the fountain water splash/spray. I'm seeking something that can be maintained to a maximum height of 24-30 inches or so. My preference is a blooming or tropical type of plant, but realizing the unusual setting, will consider anything. Another consideration is that it does not attract bees, as this garden is near an entry door. Thank you in advance for your consideration. I live north of Dallas in Denton County.

If the soil around the fountain is damp, or even better, really wet, you could use a fern such as Osmunda cinnamomea (cinnamon fern).  I could guarantee you that no bees would be attracted to it since it isn't a flowering plant.  Another plant for very moist soil that would not attract bees is Equisetum hyemale (scouringrush horsetail).

Here are several plants that tolerate moist soil, are within your preferred size range, and grow in full sun.  They will attract butterflies and perhaps an occasional bee, but they wouldn't be especially attractive to the bees.

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Calylophus berlandieri ssp. pinifolius (Berlandier's sundrops)

Lobelia cardinalis (cardinalflower)

Oenothera speciosa (pinkladies)

Salvia lyrata (lyreleaf sage)

You can look for more possibilities on our Texas-North Central Recommended page.  You can use the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option to limit the search to fit your criteria (e.g.,select 'Sun..' from LIGHT REQUIREMENT and 'Moist' from SOIL MOISTURE).

Here are photos of the plants above from our Image Gallery:

Osmunda cinnamomea

Dodecatheon pulchellum

Calylophus berlandieri ssp. pinifolius

Lobelia cardinalis

Oenothera speciosa

Salvia lyrata