Mr. Smarty Plants - Taking a cutting from Niagara grape in Warfordsburg PA

Tuesday - April 27, 2010

From: Warfordsburg, PA
Title: Taking a cutting from Niagara grape in Warfordsburg PA

QUESTION:

How do I take a cutting from a Niagara grape plant, and then re-plant that cutting?

ANSWER:

Start with this University of Minnesota Extension Growing Grapes for Home Use. You have to go all the way to the bottom to "Propagation," but it's worth the trip, because there is a very good illustration of how to handle the cutting. Next, go to eHow How to Propagate Grape Vines for a description of what to do next, after you have rooted the cutting. 

According to the information we could find, "Niagara" is a variety of native grapevine Vitis labrusca (fox grape). We also learned that it is the result of a cross between the Concord Grape and Cassady grape. We're not sure how that will affect the result that you get from a cutting. 

This USDA Plant Profile shows that Vitis labrusca (fox grape) will grow in Fulton County. south central Pennsylvania, USDA Hardiness Zones 6a to 6b.

Pictures of Niagara grapes from Google

Pictures of Vitis labrusca (fox grape) from Google