Monday - April 26, 2010

From: Augusta, GA
Title: Plant identification for vine in Georgia

QUESTION:

A wild vine is taking over our cypress tree. Cypress tree is in our yard beside the fence. Very thick woods behind our fence. Leafs, on vine, resemble small maple leafs. It has orange flower balls. Each ball is the size of a mans fist. The main artery of each vine has single leaves growing. No clusters. Live here all my life and the first time I have seen this vine. Do not want to destroy in case it is a plant not documented. Thank you.

ANSWER:

From your description we don't recognize your vine as one of the vines native to Georgia.  If you will send us photos, however, we will do our very best to identify it.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read instructions for submitting photos.  Please be sure to include close up photos of both the leaves and the flowers and an overall picture of the vine in your cypress tree