Sunday - May 31, 2009

From: Manning, SC
Title: Can you root a crossvine?

QUESTION:

Can you root a crossvine?

ANSWER:

Bignonia capreolata (crossvine) is easily propagated from seeds.  You can read propagation information using seeds from the National Plant Materials Center.  Jill Nokes in How to Grow Native Plants of Texas and the Southwest says crossvine rooting can also be done from both root and softwood cuttings but rooting percentage is low and it tends to take a while to achieve. Her is further information from her book about rooting crossvine: 

"The best stem cuttings are made from firm, stout, short-jointed lateral stems of the current season's growth gathered in late spring through the summer.  Removal of at least one-third of the leaves is recommended.  Treat the cuttings with hormones (3,000–5,000 ppm) and place under intermittent mist.  Rooting usually takes place in 4 to 8 weeks."

Bignonia capreolata

Bignonia capreolata