Wednesday - April 07, 2010

Title: Is it wise to cut suckers from live oak branches in April in Austin

My live oak branches are filling with suckers and I would like to cut them now, April. Is that wise?

Short answer: No.

However small the open area in the bark would be after you nipped off the suckers, that would be enough to attract the nitidulid beetle, the little monster which is the carrier of Oak Wilt Disease. From an article in the San Antonio Express News, here is an article on Preventing Oak Wilt by Lynn Rawe, Extension Agent-Horticulture, Bexar County. Also, read this article from the Texas Oak Wilt Parnership.

The best time to prune the Live Oak is between December 1 and February 1. The worst time is between February 15 and June 15.