Mr. Smarty Plants - Non-native bougainvillea annual or perennial in Las Vegas?

Sunday - April 04, 2010

From: Las Vegas, NV
Title: Non-native bougainvillea annual or perennial in Las Vegas?

QUESTION:

Are bouganvilleas annual or perianneal plants? What do you do w/them in the winter time. We live in Las Vegas NV

ANSWER:

The bougainvillea, a native to coastal Brazil, falls out of our range of expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. We only deal with and recommend plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plant is being grown. From this website Plant-care.com Bougainvillea Care, you will learn that they will die if subjected to more than a light freeze, and do not do well inside. Las Vegas is in USDA Hardiness Zones 5b to 6a, which means your plants outdoor would be subjected to average annual minimum temperatures of -15 to -10 degrees F.