Monday - January 13, 2014

From: Mesa, AZ
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Problems with non-native citrus trees from Mesa AZ

We have one valencia orange tree and one naval orange tree in our Mesa, AZ yard. Just noticed some oranges on both trees have a 1/4 inch diameter hole through the skin and the orange fruit and skin around the hole appears to be rotting. Looking in the hole usual reveals some type of larvae wiggling around. What is causing this and how do we prevent any further loss?

Please see this previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer on citrus to tell you why we probably cannot help you.

From another previous answer:

"We found an excellent site on dealing with problems with the navel orange trees. We tried to find one from Arizona but couldn't, so you'll have to accept this Texas Cooperative Extension site, instead. Then, if you're really dedicated to finding a solution, go to this site, "Diagnosing common citrus problems", from the University of Arizona Extension Program, and see what you can find that fits your situation."

For questions on non-native citrus, especially regarding diseases and pests, we suggest you contact the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Office for Maricopa County.