Saturday - March 20, 2010

From: Colorado Springs, CO
Topic: Non-Natives, Compost and Mulch, Turf, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Lawn Maintenance in Colorado

QUESTION:

When do I begin to fertilize and water my grass in Colorado Springs? I am selling my house and want my lawn to look green?

ANSWER:

Sorry, you have come to the wrong place for that sort of information as the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center promotes the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes. 

You do not mention what type of turf grass you have on your lawn, but since native turf grasses are not very common, yours is likely a species we cannot help you with. If it were a native grass it would be adapted to your conditions and would require neither water nor fertilizer (but would still be happy if you added compost twice a year, to amend the soil).

We recommend you contact your local county agricultural extension office or a local lawn maintanance company.  They will be able to advise you when to expect your lawn to break dormancy and start growing.  Before that time, it is not a good idea to water or fertilize it.