Friday - January 22, 2010

From: Burbank, CA
Title: Source of non-native Cutweed from Burbank CA

QUESTION:

Where to find Cutweed in southern California? If not, which nursery sell cutweed? or any cutweed powder to buy?

ANSWER:

Fucus vesiculosus, cutweed, is more commonly known as "bladder wrack." The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the care, propagation and protection of vascular plants native to North America. First, of all, this plant is an algae, and therefore non-vascular. It is found most often along the coasts of the North Sea and the Baltic sea and, as such, is unlikely to be available in the warm waters of the Southern California coast. We have no information on nurseries other than those that sell native plants, nor can we make any suggestions on purchase of the products.

This article from Wikipedia, Fucus vesiculosus, is about the best source of information we could find.