Mr. Smarty Plants - Smarty Plants on Pinguicula

Friday - October 28, 2005

From: RAANANA-ISRAEL, Other
Region: Other
Title: Smarty Plants on Pinguicula

QUESTION:

Does any plant of the genus Pinguicula (butterworts) grow wild in israel--maybe in Mount Hermon or Upper Galile?. israeli carnivorous plant society couldn't give me a clear answer about this issue. i know that utricularia vulgaris,utricularia gibbs ssp. exoleta and drosera rotundifolia grow in israels wild flora.

ANSWER:

Our interest and expertise at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center is with native North American species. To learn about the native plants of Israel (in particular, the Pinguicula that you are interested in), I suggest that you contact the experts at the Jerusalem Botanical Garden or the Department of Plant Sciences at Tel Aviv University.