Mr. Smarty Plants - Need a shade tree in a limited space in Louisville, GA

Thursday - October 29, 2009

From: Louisville, GA
Title: Need a shade tree in a limited space in Louisville, GA

QUESTION:

Mr. Smarty Pants, Hello! What kind of tree would be good to shade, in a limited space, and having a taproot? This is in middle Ga. One side of yard has main water pipe coming in off the road and the other side has a sewer line from the Huge Hickory tree to the house. The front yard where I need the trees faces west, so it gets the heat of the day. A screened porch runs across the front of the house. From the front of the house to the sidewalk is approx. 30'. Thanks for in advance for your input!!!! I can send pics of my front yard if needed.

ANSWER:

Lets start by looking at our Recommended Species page. Clicking on Georgia on the map will give you a list of 201 commercially available native plant species suitable for planned landscapes in Georgia. Next, go to the Narrow Your Search column on the right side of the page and make these selections: Select Georgia under STATE, Tree under GENERAL APPEARANCE, and Perennial under LIFESPAN. Check Sun under LIGHT REQUIREMENT, and Moist under SOIL MOISTURE. Your list now contains 15 tree species from which to choose. Clicking the name of each plant will bring up its NPIN page which contains the plant's characteristics, growth requirements and conditions, as well as images. Go through the list carefully and try to find a tree that matches your location.

Another source of help is the Jefferson County Office of the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension.

Our Suppliers Directory can help you find businesses that sell native plants and provide professional landscape or consulting services in Georgia.

Here are three species that could grow into handsome trees for your front yard.

Quercus alba (white oak)

Liriodendron tulipifera (tuliptree)

Platanus occidentalis (American sycamore)

This article from Colorado State University Extension will address your concerns about tree root systems.

Quercus alba

Liriodendron tulipifera

Platanus occidentalis