Friday - December 21, 2012

From: San Anselmo, CA
Topic: Shade Tolerant, Vines
Title: Vine for complete shade in California

I'm looking for a vine to put over my back door which is in complete shade.

There aren't too many vines that are native to your part of California that will grow in complete shade, but here are four attractive ones that will.

Clematis ligusticifolia (Western white clematis)  Here are photos and more information from CalFlora and  Yerba Buena Nursery in Woodside and from Bay Natives Nursery in San Francisco.

Lathyrus vestitus (Pacific pea)   Here are photos and more information from CalFlora and from Bay Natives Nursery in San Francisco.

Lonicera hispidula (Pink honeysuckle)  Here are photos and more information from CalFlora and from Yerba Buena Nursery and Bay Natives Nursery.

Lonicera ciliosa (Orange honeysuckle)   Here are photos and more information from CalFlora and from Seven Oaks Native Nursery near Albany, Oregon.  This one occurs a bit further north than Marin County but would probably do well there.

Western white clematis
Clematis ligusticifolia

Orange honeysuckle
Lonicera ciliosa

Pink honeysuckle
Lonicera hispidula